Home Shop Forum FAQ  

Forum Home | Lighting Home
Start New Thread | Reply To Post
Page 1 of 2
1 2
paul
3/6/2003 11:08:00 AM
the overhaul of a gymlight. . .

I have a used 400W MH light. It is of the industrial type, the ballast hangs from the celling and the socket is attached to the ballast, pointing straight down. This wastes space and the circular reflector that came with the light is bent and wouldn't spread light very effectivly for my small setup anyways. I would like to remove the socket from the ballast so I can fit the bulb into a rectangular reflector. It looks like the socket would unscrew but I don't want to ruin my lamp. Any advice on what wires to use or how to do it?

thanks,
Paul
The Green Thumbs
3/6/2003 11:15:00 AM
Re: the overhaul of a gymlight. . .

Before I give any bad info, let me make sure I understand what you are asking...
Do you just want to make an extension cord from your ballast to the socket, so you can can have room to hang a hood?
paul
3/7/2003 12:37:00 PM

That is true. It seems like I will have to cut the wires between the balast and the socket and splice a longer one in. then I can hang the ballast elsewhere.
The Green Thumbs
3/7/2003 5:22:00 PM

This is true. If that's the case, there are only 3 wires inside the black casing. A green (ground), a black, and a white one. Very easy to splice a longer wire onto it, provided you have the knowledge.
paul
3/13/2003 11:02:00 AM

I looked closer at my light and there are only two wires between the socket and ballast, there is no ground, and the two wires are exposed and seperate. Should I be concerned? Is the bulb very sensitive to slight changes in the electricty that reaches it?

thanks
greenthumb
3/13/2003 4:55:00 PM

Yes,I would be concerned.By code all ballasts should have a groundThere should be a ground inside the ballast.I would also be very nervous if any wires are exposed.This could cause a short or worse a fire. .We sell all the parts you would need to fix this if you are comfortable with working on the inside of the ballast.
Green Thumb Garden
3/13/2003 4:58:00 PM

Also I found out that the bulbs could break if the electricity fluctuates to much or on a regular basis.
paul
3/14/2003 10:04:00 AM

I am confident in my electrical skills as long as I have a diagram to work with. Are you sure your components will work with my ballast? I think it is a hubble, highbay. I really need to get that light into a real reflector, I think those circular ones highbays come with are disigned to difuse light not concentrate it.

thanks
paul
3/14/2003 10:14:00 AM

Also, do you sell the superspectrum hood by it self?
Green Thumb
3/14/2003 4:52:00 PM

We would not be able to give you a diagram ,but you should be able to connect the black to black and white to white.then find the ground and eigther hook it to the ground on a new cord or hook it to the ballast itself to ground it.Yes we do sell Super Spectrum hoods seperately.

© 2000-2024 Rick's Green Thumb Gardening, Inc.